Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My-Lanta

Today was an insane day schedule wise, tomorrow promises more of the same. So, after a short day at school, a hair cut, a quick trip to Target, a coffee date, dental appts, and Carl's Jr playland for dinner my 8 year old was at her max. So much so that as we're racing to get shin guards and cleats on for soccer practice, she's in the back seat talking about how bad her stomach hurts. She keeps saying it over and over until I threaten to turn the car around and go back home. She insists she's fine and I tell her if it still hurts when we get home I'll give her some children's Mylanta. What? she says. I say again Mylanta. She says, mom you know I can't take yours or other people's medicine. I tell her it's not mine, it's the name of the medicine. She says I know it's the name, but you said it's yours and I can't take it. Her sister even got in on it saying the name of the pill is not Lanta, it's Mylanta. The 8 year old again retorted, I can't take your medicine either Rory!!! Now frustrated tears were beginning to form as I tried to explain that it wasn't anyone's Lanta or anyone else's medicine. This classic who's on first? conversation got me to the point of laughter that I couldn't see to drive. In her frustration, she finally yelled at me, it's not funny mom, I know it's yours and I can't take it. Geez Louise!!! There you have it, it's not My-Lanta, it's now Her-Lanta, or Your-Lanta. Whatever you call it, the stuff works! Misunderstandings are a part of all relationships and even though her feelings were hurt since her all knowing mother was visibly crying with laughter at her insistence (mother of the year nomination ONCE AGAIN) that she couldn't take My-Lanta, I'm appreciative that she felt safe enough in our relationship to express herself and that even though she figured out when I showed her the name on the box of meds, that it was ok to have a chuckle at her expense. If only some grown ups I know (myself included) could be so graceful and accepting at times of misunderstandings....aaah, a world of Mylanta, creamy mint tasting rivers of ecstasy.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com