Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Colored Pieces of Foil

Our housecleaner came yesterday. I hope she truly grasps the positive impact she has on our family. With that said, all floors were clean when we got home yesterday afternoon. So much so that by the girls' bedtime, I had started to notice litter of some sort scattered all through the upstairs, down the stairs, into the basement. It was tiny pieces of colored foil, all bright and shiny. I would see one, then another, then another. You know the kind. They come on all the milk chocolate Easter candy every year. I had found so many that I decided to check the bowl they were supposed to be in. Alas, not one in there. I know I hadn't devoured, I double checked with Big Game, he insisted no, so that left only one other person who could have possibly cleared out the bowl and left a crime ridden trail behind-the 8 year old. I felt like Goldilocks on the hunt for the comfiest bed, but alas my quest turned more into a game of whodunit Clue. I go to get the 8 year old out of bed and ask, "Did you clear out the bowl of candy upstairs?" She said with a smile, "No mom, I didn't." I said don't lie, mommy's always find out. She laughingly said, "Really?" Yep. So, I tuck her back in and say to her if she doesn't tell the truth she will lose her tickets, but if she does tell me the truth she will only need to apologize. Then I hear this, "Hey, what's this all about?" come from her sister's room. What? The professor with the candlestick in the parlor? The 6 year old hopped out of bed and said again "Hey, what are you asking her mom?" I explained the situation, she immediately clammed up. She hadn't been an original suspect since she can't have wheat or dairy and these were MILK chocolates that were feasted on. She got nervous, did a little pee pee dance, and I said "Did YOU eat the candies?" Her response was "What is my consequence if I did?" Wow, she's smart. She ended up confessing, her tummy had a bloated sickly feeling all night, and I solved the case of the missing foil wrapped candies. She lost a ticket for each candy she took-I estimated 7. She replied, "I have way more than 7 tickets, go ahead." Powerplay 101-never show all your cards to your opponent. Who's training who? At times I don't know, but as I continue to find little pieces of colored foil I am grateful that she came forward and at least didn't hang her sister out to dry. Not sure if I would have done the same at her age or even now.....ok, now I would, but at 6, ask my sister.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com