Saturday, February 2, 2008

Hannah Montana is really Miley Cyrus?

For those of us who couldn't get or didn't want to put a second mortgage on our home for Hannah Montana tickets, the fine Disney folks designed a concert/movie that they charged $15 for in Utah, that my 6 year old begged we go to. I'm assuming the rationale in the stiff price was because it was in 3D and even though the effects didn't warrant it, what my daughter learned from it was a hard reality. When they showed the cute blonde from the hit tv show, Hannah Montana go back stage, take off her wig, and change into a brown curly wig, my daughter was in shock! The big where's waldo 3D glasses didn't help but to emphasize the disgust, realization, the deer in headlights, wally-eyed, oh my goodness type of life changing look she gave me when she saw this magical transformation on screen. This realization that one girl plays 2 girls is what I am taking as a prequel to Santa Claus coming out of the closet. She turned to me and shouted at the top of her lungs, "Hannah Montana is really Miley Cyrus???"!!!! I shooshed her and nodded yes, she shook her head no, it can't be. "Mom, but Hannah Montana's on tv and so is Miley Cyrus, how can they be the same?". It's the magic and beauty of great marketing and Hollywood, some things aren't what they seem was the gist of my reply. She thought about it, resumed eating her popcorn, and wiped the butter on my shirt as she lay back to enjoy the rest of the show. I began to think of how often things aren't what they seem in my own life and how day by day my baby is learning that not all things can be trusted, that sometimes people aren't who they say they are and I began to pray. Pray that I am who I say I am to her, that other people are placed in her life-good friends-who are for her, who are who they say they are, and then I came to the realization that we will all have a Miley Cyrus in our shadows and the only one who is always the same, is the great I Am, and that is who the focus should be on, even at age 6, but especially at 33. Hannah Montana beware, we know who you really are....btw, we enjoyed the show!

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com